Monday, April 21, 2014

Biker butt means spring is here

After a very long winter ....


My first full week of riding bike means the snow is gone from the sidewalks and the weather is above freezing in the morning.

The seedlings are starting to pop in the west windows and I'm mounting grow-lights to extend the day.
March 29 - seedlings
New this year are the K-Cups. The flat on the right is filled with emptied K-Cups from a Kurick coffee maker at the office. I simply removed the foil top and emptied the grounds from the filter. I left the filter in place, then filled with starter soil and planted seeds. They seem to be working just fine.









New Alumni Pier at UW Wisconsin - Madison.

Lake Ice

Every morning I pass this pier and watch as the ice recedes in the spring. This year has had the longest ice coverage that we've seen for decades.

This picture was taken on April 11, 2004

Biker Butt 

The first week of riding usually makes my legs stiff and my butt sore.  This year not so much. I credit this with the fact that I spent a lot of time on the ice this past winter. The ice was good and the weather wasn't wicked cold so I was able to skate every other day and this kept my legs strong. And strong legs means I don't SIT on the seat so much while riding - resting my legs but bouncing my butt. Bike seats aren't designed for sitting (at least not the one I use).

Another sign of spring: 

First Crocus  March 29, 2014

No comments: