Friday, April 25, 2014

Dreams - strange wonders

 Dreams in ‘3-D’

Dreams are so condensed that it’s hard to remember them. It’s like they are in three dimensions and I have to convert them to four dimensions in order to remember them - or to write them down. It’s not really 3-D but it’s like that. Kind of like asynchronous VS synchronous, or parallel vs serial. That sort of thing. And my brain is not capable of converting this internally - it's not wired that way. So I  need to write down the dreams without trying to make sense of them. This external path (written or spoken) is the only way to bridge the dream part of my brain with the memory part. The 3-D dream needs to be converted first so it will fit into  4-D memory.

This makes sense if you think about the fact that dreams are not restricted in time, like our 'real' experiences. This extra dimension (time) doesn't exist in our minds where time can move at the speed of light - the speed of thought. We are free to 'move around' in our dreams untethered by time and space. But our memory banks are designed to remember things that happen in real life so they are tuned to a reality that has time as a component. So our 3D dreams don't fit very well into 4D memory and thus are hard for us to remember. This means that we have to insert the time dimension into the dream as we try to make sense of it after waking. One way to do this is to write it down. Since we are used to writing down things that really happen - and things that 'happen' usually happen in, and over, time - this helps us superimpose the dream onto memory "template" that contains the dimension for time.

For example:
In a recent dream, my "girlfriend/wife/whatever"and I had split up after lunch - we each had our own cars for some reason - and we were going to meet again up town. It was a small town like Centuria and they were re-doing the main road - it was all torn up so I was being smart and I turned down the alley to bypass the construction. There was snow on the ground but there were ruts showing that others had had my same idea. I met a car right away and had to move over into somebody’s yard to get by. Then I started coming upon wires laying across the road. Heavy electrical cables. I realized that due to the construction they had to run temporary wiring across the alley to provide power to the houses. The trick was to drive around where the wires were spliced and avoid the loops. This was high voltage shit and I didn’t trust the splice jobs and I didn’t want to disturb them; causing someone to lose power.

I finally got to the end of the alley and turned onto what I thought should be Main street. When I came around the corner I found myself right in the middle of a big city, not a small town. I was very confused. So I pulled into a mini-mall to get out of traffic so I could figure out what was going on. I asked a guy who looked like he owned one of the stores - or gas station - where I was. He said I was near the airport and listed off the names of some of the neighborhoods (suburbs) that I knew were in Minneapolis.

I told him where I thought I was and what I was doing and we both got a kick out of that. He was a nice guy and trying to help. We were speculating on what we - my girlfriend and I - may have been drinking - or smoking. He suggested that I call her and check my GPS (I can’t remember the order). Good idea. So I called her. Apparently the same sort of thing had happened to her but she was in Vancouver.

This all happened while I was waking up - like in a flash.

 

Silver Bat

I dreamed about a silver bat.
I was in a room with other kids (that's right, we were kids) - probably at night - and we were doing something that I don’t remember (it was a dream you know). Soon I saw something in a crack in the wall. First I thought it was a big spider but right away it began flying towards me. I could only catch a glimpse but I saw that it was a silver colored bat and it flew directly to me and landed on my neck. I couldn’t see it but I could feel it and I was afraid to brush it away for fear that it might get mad and bite me on the neck. (vampire bat??). I was totally at a loss for what to do - so I woke up.

That solved it.

Siskel and Ebert

 Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert
 I was sitting at a table and Gene at the head and Roger at the side of the other end. They were reminiscing about when they first met. At first I didn't recognize Gene - I recognized Roger right away. It took me a while to put two and two together as to who they were. I had a feeling they didn't know each other very well yet.

There was a stack of folders or something on the the table and it was like they were between movies and just kicking back a little, you know killing time.

I wondered if this is where they worked. You know we think they watched these things in a theater like the place where they did the TV show but this was more like a board room. Pretty stark in comparison to a plush theater.

Why would I dream about these guys. The only thing I can think of is that Roger had died recently.

No comments: