Friday, November 7, 2014

Jack and Red: Part XXI - And now.

This is the twenty-first in a series of blogs chronicling an expedition into 'space' with Jack Pynesapp and his granddaughter Red. To read the entire story (with notes) please see the JackPynesapp web site: [ click here ]

And Now ...

[Hmm, now I've done it - haven't I? Have I written myself into a corner? I'm a little frightened, but I believe in the story so I'll try not to worry. Have I told too much? I think I've told just enough. What do you think? ]

[So now I need to go back - but where?]

"I like that color for the shed, don't you?" Jack looked over at Red who was swinging gently on the  back porch swing - pushing herself with her feet against one of the pails filled with apples that Red and her Grandpa had just finished picking.

Red looked up from the message she was writing on her phone and gazed across the yard at the old shed. "It looks a lot better than it did, Grandpa."

"We did a good job."

"You had a lot of help"

"Some of it better than others."; Grandpa said with a bit of sarcasm in his voice.

Red smiled.

"Have you seen James since then?"; Grandpa asked.

"No. Why would I?"

"Oh, I don't know." Grandpa said, looking back at the shed.

"I'll see him when school starts, I guess."

"Monday, right?"

"Yeah." Red finished the text and put her phone away. "Monday."

"Are you looking forward to it?"

"I guess." Red admitted; "It'll be nice seeing everyone again."

"Like James?"

"NO!"

Grandpa smiled and decided to drop the subject. They both sat quietly and rocked; Grandpa in his old rocking chair and Red on the porch swing. They watched two squirrels chase each other around  the shed and up into the trees.

"Do you feel like a walk?"; Grandpa asked finally.

"Been awhile."; Red smiled at Grandpa; "like, all summer."

"Yeah, too long, I think." Grandpa smiled back. "I've been dyin' for an ice cream cone."

Red laughed; "Yeah, me too." She stood up and started for the porch steps; "Come on."

"I'd better tell Grandma." Jack said.

 Red stopped on the steps and looked at her Grandpa. "Do you think she'll mind?"

[I'm having a hard time with names here. Where do I use 'Grandpa' and where do I use 'Jack'?]

"No, she's not worried." Jack looked at Red; "How about your folks?"

"I think they're over it. Come on, let's go. Tell Grandma and I'll meet you out front."

[Is this boring? I'm having a hard time moving the story this morning. Maybe I just needed to take a breath Huh?  It's nice to be back with just Grandpa and Red, though.  I think some of the trouble is that I am starting to see where some of this could be going and it's hard to concentrate on the 'present' - you know - keeping it linear - somewhat.]


Red was waiting in the driveway when Jack came out the front door. He smiled as he hurried to join her. He saw her questioning look and said lightly; "No problem. Let's go."

"Good."

At the end of the driveway they turned left down the road towards town.

Red stopped and said; "Grandpa, lets go the other way?"

"What? On the trail?" He asked."Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Yeah. " Red laughed. "You said Grandma wasn't worried.  So why not?"

"I don't think your Mom would like it."

"Hey, I said that she was over it. What can it hurt?"

Grandpa thought for a second and then said;  "Yeah, what can it hurt? As long as you think it's alright."

"Sure. No biggie."

They turned around and walked back towards the snowmobile trail. Grandma Pynesapp stood in the living room and watched them turn around and head the other way and she sighed.

Red and her Grandpa climbed up the embankment to the trail, crossed over the old railroad bridge, and started walking towards town. The pea gravel crunched under their feet as they walked. The wild flowers were beginning to fade and some of the leaves were starting to turn color.  Bu itt was a warm, sunny day; perfect weather for a walk.

"Have you and Dad ever tried to find the train again?" Red asked as she walked.

"Many times."

"But you've never seen it again, have you?" Red asked.

"Not a sign of it."

"Do you think it really happened. Was it really there?"

"Yes, Red, I'm sure of it. It wasn't a dream and it wasn't an illusion. It was very real."

"But how?"

"Good question." Jack admitted. "I wish I knew."

They walked for a while.

"I've been thinking about it, a lot, you know." Red said finally.

"I bet you have." Jack smiled. "I was counting on that." 

[What does Red think? It'll have to wait. The coffee's gone. Time to go]







No comments: