Saturday, December 6, 2014

Jack and Red: Part XXV - Escape

This is the twenty-fifth in a series of blogs chronicling an expedition into 'space' with Jack Pynesapp and his granddaughter Red. To read the entire story (with notes) please see the JackPynesapp web site: [ click here ]


[Is Billy really crazy? Is it time to skip some 'time' here - like jumping to 'Act II'? I'm going to write out what happens next at the bridge and maybe later I'll decide to use that as a flash-back if I decide to jump after all. ]

Escape 


Red looked at her phone for the time and then looked at Grandpa and said; "Grandpa, we need to head back now. Mom's picking me up at four and that's in ten minutes." She was facing away from Billy and she gave Grandpa a quick wink.

"Oh, is it that late already?" He gave Red a slight nod to let her know that he understood. And then he said to Billy; "You know Billy, we should sit down and talk about this. I'll bet JJ would love to hear about this too and I know that I'll have questions."  ...

[I'm sorry but none of this is working for me. I'm torn between wanting to escape this crazy man and wanting to find out what he's talking about. I'll go back and read the last part and get a running start at this.]

[Okay, let's try this... ]

"I can give you guys a lift if you want." Billy said as he got into his car. The three of them had just climbed down the bank at the little bridge over the road that ran by Grandpa's house. Billy's car was parked on the shoulder where he'd left it.

"No thanks, " Grandpa said brightly, "the house is just up there, you know, and we can walk that little ways."

Red gave a quick wave goodbye to Billy as she turned and started walking away.

"Okay, " Billy said over his shoulder, "I'll call tomorrow about getting together with JJ." And then he said in a louder voice so Red could hear; "Don't tell anyone else about this, Okay? Not yet."

"Right, " Jack said; "Okay, talk to you tomorrow." And he turned and followed Red up the road.  Billy drove away - the other direction.

"Red, wait for me." Grandpa called out as he hurried to catch up.

"Grandpa, you're not serious about listening to this guy, are you." She had stopped walking and turned to see that Billy had, in fact driven away. "He's wack-a-doodle. You know that, don't you."

"I don't know, Red. What if what he's saying is true?"

"That crazy story? And that picture of the bridge? Like new? You know he photoshopped that. Or else he found a picture of it somewhere and took a picture of the picture."

"Perhaps he did. But why would he do that?" Grandpa added; "You didn't give him a chance to explain how he got that - or what it meant."

"No I didn't, Grandpa. Because I was terrified. I just wanted to get away from him as fast as possible."

"But we could've heard him out, at least." 

"Grandpa, think about it. You know why he moved away, don't you? When he told his Mom that crazy story, she had him committed. And they had to move away to avoid the questions and the embarrassment."

"Yes, that crossed my mind, too. " Grandpa admitted. "But, what he says does make some sense. And it answers some questions that have been troubling me about that day."

Red and Grandpa resumed walking. Red continued; "And why doesn't he want us to tell anybody else?"

"Well, if you're right about his mother committing him for telling that story," Grandpa laughed, "perhaps he's a little punchy."

"It's not funny, Grandpa."

"I'm sorry, Red." Grandpa said - seriously now; "I know you're right. But aren't you a little curious? What if what he's saying is true?"

They walked for a while in silence. When they reached the driveway to Grandpa's house, Red said; "Okay, Grandpa. Let's let him tell his story - with Daddy there too - and then we'll see."

They got to the door and Grandpa stopped and said; "You know, I was a little scared too. I was glad you came up with that story about having to get home."

"One of us had to think of something." Red laughed as they walked inside.

"Think of what?" Grandma asked.

"Oh, nothing." Red smiled at Grandma. "Grandpa and I were just playing a game."  Then she looked at Grandpa and winked. "You've got the next move, Grandpa."

No comments: