Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Jack and Red: Part XXVI - Grandpa's next move

This is the twenty-sixth in a series of blogs chronicling an expedition into 'space' with Jack Pynesapp and his granddaughter Red. To read the entire story (with notes) please see the JackPynesapp web site: [ click here ]


[Now I'm really stuck. I know what Billy wants to say but how do we get it? When, where, and to whom does he tell it? We're in Chicago today on an over-night visit. This will give me something to think about on drive home. ]

Grandpa's next move.

[Meanwhile, like I said the ladies would like to become involved... ]

"So how did your walk go?" Marge asked after Red had left with her Mother.

"It was a beautiful day." Jack began; "It was just warm enough to make the ice cream a real treat."

"You know what I mean." Marge said quietly as she stirred the hot dish she had made for supper.

Jack began setting the table. "Yes, I know what you mean." He began; "Like I said, it was a nice day for a walk. It was just another walk to town. Like we always do: we walked; we talked; we laughed."

He saw Marge look at him and frown as he poured the milk. "The train didn't show up if that's what you're worried about." He laughed. "Nothing happened. It was a totally normal walk - except for Billy."

"Billy who?" She began and then answered herself; "Not Billy Thompson." She brought the pan over to the table and set it down. "Where did you see him?"

"Yes, Billy Thompson. " Jack said; "He was sitting on the bridge over the river when we walked up."

"What were you doing way over there?" Marge asked. "That's not on the way to town."

"No, but Red wanted to see where we saw the train."

"And you took her there?"

"What was I supposed to do?" Jack protested.

"I don't know" Marge said. "I guess -- " she paused, thought about it and then sighed, " -- well guess I don't know."

"Anyway," Jack continued as he began eating, "He was pretty excited to see us."

"You talked?"

"Yes. Well I didn't even recognize him at first (of course - he's changed quite a bit from what I remember ) but he recognized me and he came over to where we were and introduced himself.  "

"Did he say why they packed up and moved away so suddenly?"

"Well, sort of." Jack continued, "It was all part of another story he was trying to tell us. He's got some strange idea about what happened with the train and he started to tell us about that. He told us that when he'd first told his Mother about what really happened, she decided to move away."

"Did he say why?"

"Well, from what little he said tonight, we - Red and I - kind of thought she might have committed him to some sort of treatment."

"So what did he say?"

Jack recounted the conversation as closely as he could remember as they ate dinner.

"Wow, I can see why Red was afraid. I would be too." Marge said finally. "You two out there in the middle of nowhere and with a crazy man."

"Oh, I don't know if he's crazy." Jack protested. "He seemed very normal - except for that story."

"So I suppose you're going to want to talk to Billy some more - find out what he's talking about?"

"I supposed we should, don't you think?"

"I think you should call the men in white suits. If you wanna know the truth."

[Okay now what's the plan? I'm back from Chicago. Now what?]

"Okay, I know what you should do." Marge said as they started clearing the table. "You said Billy'd call you tomorrow right?"

"That's what he said."

"Okay, I'll call JJ right now and see if he and Gwen can come over tomorrow night for supper. If they can then when Billy calls, you invite him to join us."

"And Red, too." Jack said.

"Well, I suppose so." Marge said reluctantly.

"There's no way she'll want to miss this." Jack laughed.

"No, she won't .."  Marge said. She gave Jack one of her frustrated looks.  ".. now that she knows about the train."

Jack started loading the dish washer. "Okay, sounds like a plan." He said brightly; "Now we'll just see if he actually calls."

[I knew Marge would come up with a plan.]



No comments: